Friday, July 24, 2009

Interview w/ Joe Stakun of I Love My Bicycle



Last month we mentioned the premiere of I Love My Bicycle: The Story of FBM Bikes at Philadelphia’s Bicycle Film Festival, being that it was the hometown of yours truly. However, this film’s popularity is far from ending. In fact, it’s just begun, with premieres everywhere from LA to Paris, and a DVD release within the next couple of months. Joe Stakun, the director of the film, sat down with The Big Ugly to explain the film’s appeal in detail.

[Above: Joe Stakun, the director of ILMB]

BU: Where did you grow up?

Joe Stakun: I grew up in Fairless Hills PA the first part of my childhood followed by Doylestown PA the second part. I’ve been in Philadelphia mostly the past 5 years.

BU: When did you become interested in BMX, how long have you been riding? Who were your inspirations growing up?

JS: I started riding BMX fairly late in my life when I was about 14, so I’ve been riding for almost 10 years now. I sort of lacked role models as a kid. I was always inspired by anyone doing their own thing especially if it was unique and original. I looked up to many different BMX icons as a kid, also I really looked up to Spike Jonze as a filmmaker since I was young. I am happy that many of those riders are in the film along with some photos that Spike shot.

BU: Is this your first experience with making a film?

JS: I have had smaller projects and films screen in film festivals starting in high school. Right after high school I made a short documentary on my grandfather, which went to a few festivals. I also really enjoy making music videos. I made one for Modest Mouse a couple years back and most recently one for Future Islands. This however is my first feature film.

BU: Why FBM? How did you get to know those guys?

JS: Growing up riding BMX I was familiar with FBM’s history and reputation. They seem to have such a unique and unbelievable story. I randomly met the owner Steve Crandall while staying at Woodward Camp one winter weekend and we got to talking about video stuff. He mentioned that somebody told him once that there should be a documentary on FBM. It instantly sounded like a great idea and I said I’d do it.


[Above: The early beginnings of FBM.]

BU: How were you able to nail access with so many riders? How long did it take you to put the whole thing together?

JS: I knew some of the folks and Steve got me in touch with the people I didn’t know. It is amazing how many people came together and contributed to the film. I think being an independent DIY film about a DIY company really helped with other like minded folks contributing and being a part of it.


[Above: Steve Crandall; owner of FBM bikes]

BU: What were you hoping to accomplish with this film?

JS: My main goal with the film was to make something that everyone in the BMX community could get behind and really take pride in as well as something anyone outside the community could really relate to and enjoy.



[Above: Joe Stakun]

BU: What cities will be premiering the film? Will you attend most of them?

JS: It is premiering in a bunch of cities around the world and more folks keep asking about more premiers. All the cities are listed on www.ilovemybicyclemovie.com

I can’t afford all of the travel however I plan on attending a few more of them. This month I aim to get to the Austin and LA premiers.

BU: How did you go about promoting the film, getting it to show in so many well-respected places?

JS: I just submitted it to some film festivals. The Bicycle Film Festival was pumped on the film and decided to screen it at about 25 of its festivals it throws around the World. As for promotion I just mail out advanced copies of the film and a zine to folks who are in the film and bicycle industry. I’ve also been getting stickers out there for kids to put on there bikes or bathroom walls or wherever.

BU: When will the DVD be coming out? Who will be selling it?

JS: I am still looking for distribution however I am fully ready to distribute the film myself. I am hoping to get the DVD out by November. It will be available through BMX mail orders and bike shops here and over seas. I hope to get it out to record shops and other retailers where I can.

BU: How has your life changed since the film?

JS: Hmmm. Really stuff hasn't changed too much since I am still working on the film prepping it for DVD and getting all of that stuff in order. I am excited about all the great press and good reviews the film has been receiving from folks. The DVD work is just getting underway and I’m already pumped on the how it’s going to turn out.

BU: What's next for you?

JS: I plan on doing some more music videos and working on my video installation work. Hopefully finding a neat job in the film industry somewhere for a bit. Who knows though we’ll see.

BU: Lastly, a question we ask all our interviewees. If you met a girl and fell in love, but she had really big feet. Would you still love her?

Yeah..I guess.

To find out when ILMB will be premiering in your city, visit http://www.ilovemybicyclemovie.com/.

Also, you can follow Joe and the film at twitter/ILoveMyBicycle.

(And if you've got some time on your hands, you can follow us too.)


No comments:

Post a Comment