Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Chris "Beat Her Down" Brown Gets Off Easy

[Above: The alleged photos TMZ obtained after Chris Brown's assault on Rihanna.]

R&B douche Chris Brown plead guilty yesterday, in the assault of ex (or current, no one knows) girlfriend Rihanna. He will serve a mere 180 days in domestic violence classes, and five years of probation.
The reason this burns me up inside is not because of the court's leniency on Brown's sentence. What bothers me is that Rihanna chose not to testify, a move that surely would have moved the court to strengthen the sentencing. There are some who will argue she just wanted it over and done with, to remove herself from speculation. I understand that. But I also understand she is a woman that many girls look up to, girls who, may themselves be in abusive relationships and are afraid to come forward. What kind of message is Rihanna sending them? Perhaps most important is her own justice, if not others. A stronger sentence will not erase what happened, but is nothing short of saying, "I am a strong woman. I am standing up for myself, and if the system shall serve me, I will embrace it." Pretending something is over with is not okay, Rihanna. I can only hope she respects herself more now than ever, and will not allow another abuser to lay a hand on her ever again. Domestic violence is never the answer. Respect of one's self is possibly the most precious gift possessed by humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment